Mixed Grain and Wild Rice Cereal
My husband and I love this flavorful cereal so much that I often prepare a large batch on weekends. Then on hurried weekday mornings, I simply reheat it.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour 40 min.
- 8 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Honey, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups water and wild rice; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes; drain. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Add the barley, oats, raisins, dates, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and remaining water.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until grains are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with honey if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 188 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Mixed Grain and Wild Rice Cereal in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Jan 14, 2010
This is the most delicious breakfast cereal. I make huge recipes and keep it in the fridge for my family to eat thoughout the week. I found it sweet so only used about 1 Tbsp. of brown sugar rather than 1/3 cup and it was perfect.