Mix ‘n’ Match Quiche
Combine colorful crabmeat and asparagus to bake this hearty main dish that's both festive and flavorful— or choose your family's favorite ingredients...and create your own one-of-a-kind specialty! You'll be surprised at the compliments you'll receive.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, flaked and drained
- 1 cup frozen asparagus cut, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes more. Reduce heat to 325°.
- Layer crab, asparagus, onion, red pepper and cheese in crust. In a small bowl, beat eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg; pour over cheese. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's Note: You can mix and match ingredients to come up with your own personal quiche. For the crab, substitute 8 ounces of browned pork sausage or 1 cup of diced cooked chicken or ham. For the asparagus, substitute 1 cup of frozen broccoli or a broccoli-cauliflower-carrot blend.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 287 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 401mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Mix 'n' Match Quiche in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.