Total TimePrep: 1 hour 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray (about 4 ounces)
- 1 package frozen phyllo dough (16 ounce, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size), thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Spritz a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with butter-flavored spray. Unroll phyllo sheets. Place one sheet of phyllo in pan; spritz with butter-flavored spray and brush to coat evenly. Repeat seven times, spritzing and brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.)
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup crumb mixture over phyllo in pan. Layer with two sheets of phyllo, spritzing and brushing with butter-flavored spray between each. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup crumb mixture; repeat 11 times. Top with one phyllo sheet; spritz and brush with butter-flavored spray. Repeat seven more times, spritzing and brushing each layer.
- Cut into 15 squares; cut each square in half diagonally. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the sugar, water, honey and lemon peel to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Pour syrup over warm baklava.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 154 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for the recipe and try to add cinnamon stick to the syrup in replace of the vanilla and you will test a fantastic delicious .
Oct 11, 2013
I made this for a full Greek meal that we are having in a few days!! It turned out simply wonderful . It is so tasty served warm. I have never worked with phyllo dough before, but in no time I got the hang of it. There is time involved but the end result is well worth it.
Dec 6, 2011
My greek co-worker said it was one of the best recipes of baklava that she had tried - I will definitely make it again.
Apr 18, 2011
I personally love and prefer this Baklava cause I don't like nuts at all. If and when I have raisins or craberries on hand I'll add a handful. This is truely an easy and tasty dessert.
May 1, 2010
This recipe was fantastic. It was very easy, and was definitely one of the most economical baklava recipes that I looked at. It was just delicious!!!
Mar 9, 2009
This was very simple to make even though it looks complicated and it was very good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.