Minty Rice Salad
When my garden is at its peak, I love to prepare this refreshing salad using my own tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, green peppers and mint. Make this wonderful dish ahead to allow the flavors to blend and for added convenience.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cooked brown or wild rice
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine rice, tomatoes, peas, cucumber, green pepper, green onions and radishes; set aside. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour over rice and vegetables; mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour. Serve cold.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 231 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Minty Rice Salad in Country Extra July 1993