Minty Chocolate Crackles
Each December, I whip up big batches of these chewy mint morsels, then watch them disappear in a flash! Everyone I know enjoys them.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candy
- Additional sugar
- In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate chips; cool slightly. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg, corn syrup, extract and melted chocolate. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Fold in candy. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are firm and surface cracks (center will be soft). Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 157 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.