Minty Beet Carrot Salad
The bold colors of this unique salad draw you in to give it a try. The unusual combination of ingredients made me a bit nervous before trying it for the first time, but I was very pleased with the delicious results! --Joylyn Trickel
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 12 fresh beets (2 inches each), trimmed
- 6 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/3 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place beets on foil; sprinkle lightly with water. Wrap tightly in foil. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until tender; cool. Peel and cut beets into thin slices.
- Place carrots in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- On salad plates, arrange the beet and carrot slices, overlapping the slices. Sprinkle with cheese and shallot. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, mint, oil, sugar, salt and pepper; drizzle over vegetables. Sprinkle with chives.
TEST KITCHEN TIP Save a step by only using the beet and not the carrots.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 266 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Minty Beet Carrot Salad in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.