Minty Bean Salad
Each September, a women's group at our church sponsors a salad supper. Everyone is delighted when they see this extra-special dish on the table.
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling
- 1 pound dried navy beans or great northern beans
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and halved
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint or 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place beans and enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid. Add bouillon and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are just tender. Drain; cool slightly. Add remaining ingredients; mix gently. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 288 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 12g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Minty Bean Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook