Minty Baked Alaska
I’ve made this dessert on a few special occasions for my husband and me. He just loves it. It’s so simple, but it looks and tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen. Crushed peppermint candy adds a cool flavor and decorative touch. It never fails to impress. &mdash: Brenda Mast, Clearwater, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candy
- 2/3 cup mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- In a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat; add vanilla and salt. With the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, beat on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form and meringue has slightly cooled, 7-9 minutes. Fold in peppermint candy.
- Preheat broiler. Place sponge cakes on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet and top each with 1/3 cup ice cream. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream and cake, sealing it to foil on sheet. Broil 8 in. from heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 baked alaska: 326 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.