Minted Parsnip Souffle
Elegant parsnip souffles make wonderful use of a root vegetable that is often overlooked. The subtle mint flavor pairs well with a variety of meats. —Catherine Wilkinson, Dewey, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- Separate eggs; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease six 8-oz. ramekins with 1 tablespoon butter and dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Place the parsnips, onion and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until parsnips are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Place parsnip mixture and lemon juice in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Stir in the sugar, remaining flour and salt until blended. Gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in mint.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly. Stir in parsnip mixture.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Transfer to prepared dishes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 256 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Minted Parsnips Souffle in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.