I got the recipe for this salad several years ago and adjusted a few things. It has become very popular at potluck gatherings. Not only is it attractive, but the blend of flavors is distinctive.
Recommended: 30 Satisfying Protein-Packed Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup plus 2-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup halved and thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- In a small heavy skillet, melt 1/4 cup sugar over low heat. Add almonds and stir to coat. Spread onto a greased sheet of foil; break apart if necessary.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, cucumber, celery and onions.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, parsley, mint, lemon juice, salt, pepper, pepper sauce and remaining sugar. Drizzle desired amount over salad; toss to coat. Top with oranges and almonds. Refrigerate leftover dressing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Minted Mandarin Salad in Reminisce August/September 2009, p54