- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 6 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 to 2 drops green food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla and chocolate. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; transfer to a mixing bowl. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, hot water, vanilla and salt.
- To assemble, split each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/3 cup of filling. Repeat layers three times. In a bowl, gently combine the whipped topping, extracts and food coloring. Frost the sides of the cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forMinted Chocolate Torte
"I intend to do this for my son's 5th birthday, at the end of the month. It looks amazing, and I hope the taste is the same amazing :) I will review again , after the party."