Mint Twist Meringues
Light and airy, these delicate meringues give you a refreshing burst of peppermint. I sprinkle them with crushed mint candies and baking cocoa. —Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed red and green mint candies
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add cream of tartar and extract to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a small star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with candies.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from pans to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 17 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chocolate Peppermint Twist Meringues in Country Woman Christmas 2011