- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint
- 2 to 3 drops green or red food coloring, optional
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons boiling water
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Transfer half of the batter to another bowl; stir in nuts and chocolate. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Stir peppermint extract and food coloring if desired into remaining batter. Spoon over chocolate layer; cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve glaze consistency. Pour over brownies and spread evenly. Cut into bars.
1 each: 119 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.