These delectable brownies have a creamy peppermint filling, which I sometimes tint green to create an attractive dessert. —Edith Holmes Brookfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot whole milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add the eggs; mix well. Beat in the chocolate and cream. Combine the flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Spread into two greased and floured 9-in. square baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine the filling ingredients; spread over one brownie layer. Top with second layer. Chill before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 130 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Mint-Filled Brownies in Reminisce November/December 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.