Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup finely crushed peppermint candies
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in crushed candies. Divide dough in half; shape each into a 7-in. long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 115 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 16, 2009
These were very good. I had a hard time cutting in 1/8 inch slices. The peppermint candy kept tearing the cookies. Next time I think I will chill and then drop by teaspoonfulls and then flatten. I think I will also sprinke with extra peppermint candy.