Mint Chocolate Torte
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Dash salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Add the milk, mayonnaise, eggs, vanilla and cocoa mixture; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine the marshmallows, milk and salt in a small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Remove from the heat; stir in peppermint extract and food coloring if desired. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- Fold in whipped cream. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice.
- For topping, combine chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Drizzle over top and down sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 391 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 16, 2013
I have made this a few times, and plan on making two for St. Patrick's Day. My family, friends, and husband's co-workers all loved it. So easy to make also. I love that it's all from scratch. Makes me feel like a baker.
Mar 27, 2012
My friend Pam made this for another friends Birthday and it tasted just like mint chocolate chips. It was a hit with everyone. Can't wait to get started.
Mar 16, 2012
Mar 16, 2012
This cake was very delicious but for some reason my filling came out too watery and the cake ended up soaking in the filling. It was still delicious but I think next time I will use whipped topping instead of the heavy cream.
Apr 12, 2011
I made this as written, except I used the green to fill the two layers, then I made a Chocolate Frosting to go over the whole cake. I used the Hershey's Chocolate Buttercream Frosting on the cake, and I added 1/2 tsp peppermint extract to the frosting. It was an excellent cake.
Apr 2, 2011
This was a big hit with my family! Everyone thought it was delicious, including me. Easy to make too...and this was my first homemade cake ever!
Mar 21, 2011
I made this for my mom's birthday and everyone absolutely loved it! I wouldn't chill the filling for too long next time I make it, because it set up like jello, maybe a little less time in the fridge would make it easier to fold in the whipped cream. Will definitely make again and may change the flavor of extract to almond or vanilla for a different taste!
Mar 16, 2011
I must have done something wrong because I only had enough batter for 2 round cake pans. The cake was thin and dense. I loved the frosting/filling, though. Next time I will use a cake mix and top it with the frosting.
Mar 11, 2011
I made a dozen cupcakes, with the filling for frosting and just a two layer cake. It worked out well, one recipe for two events. :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.