Mint Chocolate Snaps
It wouldn't be Christmas if I didn't make this cookie. Several years ago, I submitted the recipe to our local newspaper and it won first prize of $35. Since then, my family refers to it as the "&35 Cookie"!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plus 1-1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candy
- Additional sugar
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, cream shortening. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in melted chocolate. Add egg, corn syrup and extracts; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir into batter. Fold in candy. Shape into 1-in. balls and roll in sugar. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 50 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 26mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Mint Chocolate Snaps in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate