Mint-Chip Ice Cream Roll
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 quarts mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and lemon juice until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in egg whites. Fold in reserved dry ingredients just until blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze for at least 3 hours before serving.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the sugar, cocoa and butter to a boil. Add water; return to a boil. Stir in milk; boil 3 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature. Serve over ice cream roll.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 334 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 2, 2010
Lovely flavor! I would cool cake a little longer before rolling to prevent cracks. Excellent presentation with the chocolate sauce drizzled over the top.
Mar 26, 2010
Its better with vanilla cake part!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.