This refreshing ice cream cake roll, drizzled with mouthwatering homemade chocolate sauce, adds a fresh finale to any summer meal, according to Sonja Wilhau of Grundy Center, Iowa. "The cake roll is so pretty that it creates a special occasion whenever I serve it."—Sonja Wilhau, Grundy Center, Iowa
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 quarts mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and lemon juice until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in egg whites. Fold in reserved dry ingredients just until blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze for at least 3 hours before serving.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the sugar, cocoa and butter to a boil. Add water; return to a boil. Stir in milk; boil 3 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature. Serve over ice cream roll. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Mint-Chip Ice Cream Roll in Country Woman July/August 2004
Reviews forMint-Chip Ice Cream Roll
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review