Miniature Shepherd’s Pies
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup frozen petite peas
- 2 packages (17.3 ounces each) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and carrot over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour, thyme, salt, nutmeg and pepper until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in peas; heat through. Set aside.
- 2. Unfold puff pastry. Using a floured 2-1/4-in. round cutter, cut 12 circles from each sheet (save scraps for another use). Press circles onto the bottoms and up the sides of ungreased miniature muffin cups.
- 3. Fill each with 1-1/2 teaspoons beef mixture; top or pipe with 1 tablespoon mashed potatoes. Bake 13-16 minutes or until heated through and potatoes are lightly browned. Serve warm.
1 appetizer: 86 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 31, 1969
Great for grandchildren's little hands!
Mar 9, 2012
Fabulous! Family requested 2nd time this week. Made as a casserole instead with doubled recipe. Substituted ground turkey for beef, chicken broth for beef broth, and vegetable medley for chopped carrots. Yum! Will definitely make again!
Jan 15, 2012
I made these for a party and they were a big hit!