Miniature Ham Loaf
Shredded carrots add color and flavor to this downsized ham loaf from Carol Dunne of Middle Village, New York. A buttery glaze and slices of pineapples put the finishing touches on this satisfying entree.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large egg
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened sliced pineapple
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble ham over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and reserved juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in butter and lemon juice.
- Brush over ham loaf; top with three pineapple slices. (Save remaining pineapple for another use.) Bake until a thermometer reads 160°, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 553 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 185mg cholesterol, 1884mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Ham Loaf for Two in Taste of Home October/November 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.