Miniature Corn Dogs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash onion powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1 package (16 ounces) miniature smoked sausages
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Spicy ketchup
- 1. In a small bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and onion powder; cut in shortening until crumbly. Whisk milk and egg; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Dip sausages into batter.
- 2. In a cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry sausages, a few at a time, until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve with ketchup.
1 mini corn dog: 68 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 2, 2018It took a few tries to get it right. First off, skip the toothpicks, they just make things trickier. What I did was just drop the mini sausages in the batter and rolled them with a spoon. Then, pick them up with the spoon and drop them in, excess batter and all. Rotate quickly, and then cook as normal and they will be encased. Worth the effort so long as you are willing to play around with it!
Nov 25, 2012
This is the first recipe from the Taste of Home website that I haven't liked. It feels like this recipe was a waste of time, a waste of a mess, and a waste of ingredients. The batter wouldn't stick to the wieners, even though I dried them on paper towels first. The batter came right off in the frier and I ended up with half coated dogs and several crumbs, even though I followed exactly what the recipe said to do. I will not be making this again.