Cast a sweet spell over your Halloween party guests by making a pumpkin patch’s worth of treats. It’s easy to use this basic meringue recipe spiced with pumpkin flavor to scare up fun cookies. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Featured In: Spooky & Sweet Halloween Treats
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange colored sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange edible glitter
- 3 pieces green Fruit by the Foot fruit roll
- 2 teaspoons vanilla frosting
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Add pie spice and vanilla.
- Place egg white mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter pumpkins onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. In a small resealable plastic bag, combine the orange sugar and glitter. Seal bag; crush mixture to break glitter into small pieces. Sprinkle over pumpkins.
- Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Carefully remove meringues from parchment paper. Cut leaf and vine shapes from fruit roll; attach to pumpkins with a dab of frosting. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Mini Meringue Pumpkins in Country Woman September/October 2006, p41