I love to bake with my children, and this is one recipe my 3-year-old can help me make. We use our own maple syrup. Create your own designs for eyes and grins on these pumpkins, just like when you carve a jack-o'-lantern! —Allison Wilmarth, Forest City, Pennsylvania
Featured In: Pumpkin Halloween Party
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add maple syrup, vinegar and milk, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in apples, maple syrup, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Cook until apples are almost tender, about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into apple mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8 in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter. Using a sharp knife, cut out pumpkin faces from half of the cutouts.
- Place about 2 tablespoons filling on each of the uncut pastries. Moisten pastry edges with water. Place remaining cutouts over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets. Bake 22-24 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 10 mini pies.
Originally published as Mini Maple Pumpkin Pies in Halloween Bookazine 2015 2015, p71