Mini Mac & Cheese Bites
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle 1/4 cup bread crumbs into 36 greased mini-muffin cups. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat; stir in biscuit mix, eggs and 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Add macaroni; toss to coat. Spoon about 2 tablespoons macaroni mixture into prepared mini-muffin cups; sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans 5 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 91 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
May 10, 2018
These are amazing!! It made way more than 36. Probably closer to 50. I packed them down in muffin tins so that they would keep their shape while cooking. The bread crumbs in the bottom were fantastic and allowed the bites to come out effortlessly.
Apr 9, 2018
These were made for a wedding and they were a huge hit and disappeared quickly. Several people asked for the recipe. There are easy to make and a great make ahead recipe.
Feb 2, 2017
I followed the recipe exactly and they were delicious. They were a big hit at a church potluck with the younger crowd. Problem was the adults scarfed them down, too. And finally a recipe for mac and cheese that doesn't call for Velveeta cheese, which I hate.
Feb 1, 2017
Simple appetizer and a hit with kids for dinner! Tried this recipe with a few different types of cheese and it turned out well every time. Also added a little more garlic powder and some Parmesan cheese (like mentioned in the comment below!). Delicious every time!
Jan 23, 2017
I made 18 larger bites by using a regular size tin. I omitted the Swiss cheese and used 3 cups of cheddar cheese for the recipe. Originally I made this for the kids but I ended up liking it also.
Jan 20, 2017
They were cute, but not that tasty. A little dry, I think due to the breadcrumbs (too much). I won't make these again.
Dec 25, 2016
My daughter is the ultimate mac and cheese lover, and she gave these 10 ! I made the recipe, filled up the cups, and still had enough leftover for probably another 12! But, she told me she'd eat it that as is. With the leftovers, I froze some, and the rest I put in baggie, so she can warm them up when she wants! Thanks for a great recipe. BTW, next time, instead of bread crumbs, I'm going to sprinkle the bottoms of the cups with grated Parmesan cheese!
Dec 20, 2016
I made these for my family Christmas party, but I screwed it up. Instead of making 2 cups of elbows, I cooked the whole box. I was wondering why I had so much left and then I realized what I did. I did bake them and they were a little dry and didn't look much like the picture, but I didn't have time to make anything else. Well, they were all gone in 15 minutes. Everyone loved them, and want them again next year. What I had left, I put in a casserole dish and I'll add more white sauce, add some breadcrumbs and I have mac and cheese for four.
Nov 16, 2016
This went over well at a work gathering. Most everyone loves mac and cheese and it was nice to have a different type of appetizer.
Nov 10, 2016
I followed the recipe! They came out beautiful and so tasty. Mac and cheese fans will love these. Here is the thing! I decided I wanted to take them to a large family gathering so I tested a batch. After baking I cooled them, then placed in the freezer. Later I preheated the oven at 350' placed them frozen on a non-stick pan, and heated 20 minutes. They were perfectly crispy, creamy. Cheesy bites. My grandkids heated some frozen in the microwave, and loved them. They were not crispy but held up beautifully.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.