Mini Italian Frittatas
I created this recipe when my friends and I had a picnic breakfast. I wanted an egg meal that was portable and easy to make. The result was this crowd-pleasing frittata!—Jessie Apfe, Berkeley, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pour boiling water over tomatoes in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Drain and chop tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, spinach, artichokes hearts, red peppers, Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, basil, pesto, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and tomatoes. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, salt and pepper until blended; stir in cheese mixture.
- Fill greased or foil-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 18-22 minutes or until set. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 mini frittata: 95 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Italian Breakfast Muffins in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016