- 1 Italian turkey sausage link (about 4 ounces), casing removed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Discard drippings.
- 2. In the same pan, saute potatoes, onion and garlic in oil until potatoes are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add water, seasonings and sausage; cook and stir over medium heat until the water has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- 3. In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, flour and Parmesan cheese. Stir in sausage mixture. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Carefully run a knife around the edge of cups to loosen frittatas. Serve with salsa.
3 each: 225 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 903mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 7, 2013
These were delicious and perfect portions! I served them with bourbon glazed ham (also in TOH) and they were a hit.