- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup soft bread cubes
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 sticks (2-1/2 inches x 1/2 inch each) cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a bowl, combine first six ingredients. Mix in beef. Divide into six portions. Shape each portion around a cheese stick and form into a loaf. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, combine all sauce ingredients. Add loaves and spoon sauce over each. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cook until a thermometer reads 160°, about 20 minutes.
1 meat loaf: 342 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1152mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.