Mini Carrot Cakes with Cranberry Caramel Sauce
This recipe was inspired by two classic favorites, carrot cake and pineapple upside-down cake. Of course, gorgeous and delicious cranberries replace the pineapple in this version, and the mini cakes are so cute and fun! —Priscilla Yee, Concord, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 12 min.
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, bring the first five ingredients to a boil over medium-low heat. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract. Keep warm.
- Whisk flour, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, mix egg, sugar, oil, vanilla and orange zest until blended; add carrots. Stir flour mixture in to carrot mixture just until moistened. Fill ten greased muffin cups about half full. Bake until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Run a small knife around sides; cool on wire rack 5 minutes before removing.
- Serve warm with cranberry caramel sauce. If desired, serve with whipped cream or ice cream.