- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, celery and leek; cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, green beans and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Stir in the garbanzo beans, pasta and parsley. Cook for 6-9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 11 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews forMinestrone with Italian Sausage
"Excellent! And even better the next day :)"
"Great soup! Can't sat enough good about it."
"This is a very good basic minestrone. I made a few changes and it still turned out great! I used hot Italian sausage, and since I didn't have any leeks, zucchini, or green beans I left them out. Instead I added some frozen mixed veggies, and used the cabbage instead of spinach. I also precooked my pasta before adding to the soup. Very tasty and satisfying meal!"
"I omitted the leek & celery, the soup was fantastic!"
"this was my first time making minestrone soup and it was FANTASTIC!!! I've made it three times so far and it has been a big hit in my house!!! Thank you."
"We made this for a child that normally doesn't eat veggies and he loved it! We made it as is and it was a perfect winter soup!"