Mincemeat has gotten such a bad rap over the years. Raisins, currants and other dried fruit, richly spiced and soaked in brandy…what's wrong with that? My family and I love it tucked inside this gorgeous-looking bread. It's perfect for breakfast or with dinner. —Loraine Steinfort, Shelbyville, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk blend powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 package (9 ounces) condensed mincemeat
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine next six ingredients, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for filling, crumble mincemeat in a small saucepan; add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook over medium-low heat until thickened, 20-25 minutes. Set aside; cool.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 14x4-in. rectangle. Spread a third of the filling down the center of each strip; bring the sides of each strip together over filling. Pinch seams to seal. Place strips, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over braid.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 206 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Mince Meat Braid in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.