Mincemeat has gotten such a bad rap over the years. Raisins, currants and other dried fruit, richly spiced and soaked in brandy…what's wrong with that? My family and I love it tucked inside this gorgeous-looking bread. It's perfect for breakfast or with dinner. —Loraine Steinfort, Shelbyville, Indiana
Recommended: 50 Vintage Desserts Worth Trying Today
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk blend powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 package (9 ounces) condensed mincemeat
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine next six ingredients, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for filling, crumble mincemeat in a small saucepan; add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook over medium-low heat until thickened, 20-25 minutes. Set aside; cool.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 14x4-in. rectangle. Spread a third of the filling down the center of each strip; bring the sides of each strip together over filling. Pinch seams to seal. Place strips, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over braid. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Mincemeat-Filled Braid in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018