Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
Makesabout 2 quarts
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 jars (11-3/4 ounces each) hot fudge ice cream topping
- In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in the sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot cream into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Remove lids from jars of fudge topping. Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until warmed; whisk into cream mixture.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze; stir before transferring to ice cream cylinder. Transfer ice cream to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 333 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
May 27, 2014
We like to experiment with different flavors & recipes for our ice cream freezer. This is the best chocolate ice cream recipe we have tried so far. Everyone raved about it. We doubled the recipe and also doubled the freezing time.
Feb 24, 2013
Made this yesterday, I didn't cool it in the frig., but I cooled it, just took a little longer in the ice cream freezer. Ate some today , it's very good, and I will definitely make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.