Mile-High Peppermint Pie
The blend of chocolate and peppermint in this pie is simply divine - and so is the frothy meringue topping and rich fudge sauce I drizzle over each slice. —Nancy Larkin, Maitland, Florida
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + freezing Bake: 5 min.
- 1-1/2 cups crushed chocolate-covered mint cookies (about 24 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 cups peppermint ice cream, softened if necessary
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- In a small bowl, mix crushed cookies and melted butter. Press onto the bottom and up sides of a 9-in. metal pie pan. Freeze, covered, 1 hour or until firm.
- Spread ice cream into crust. Freeze, covered, until firm.
- To serve, preheat oven to 450°. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium-low heat. Stir in sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in vanilla; keep warm.
- For meringue, in a small heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar. Using a hand mixer, beat on low speed 1 minute. Place saucepan over low heat; continue beating on low until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Beat on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread over frozen pie. Bake 2-3 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately with warm chocolate sauce.