Mile-High Peppermint Pie
The blend of chocolate and peppermint in this pie is simply divine - and so is the frothy meringue topping and rich fudge sauce I drizzle over each slice. —Nancy Larkin, Maitland, Florida
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + freezing Bake: 5 min.
- 1-1/2 cups crushed chocolate-covered mint cookies (about 24 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 cups peppermint ice cream, softened if necessary
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- In a small bowl, mix crushed cookies and melted butter. Press onto the bottom and up sides of a 9-in. metal pie pan. Freeze, covered, 1 hour or until firm.
- Spread ice cream into crust. Freeze, covered, until firm.
- To serve, preheat oven to 450°. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium-low heat. Stir in sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in vanilla; keep warm.
- For meringue, in a small heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar. Using a hand mixer, beat on low speed 1 minute. Place saucepan over low heat; continue beating on low until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Beat on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread over frozen pie. Bake 2-3 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately with warm chocolate sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 475 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Mile High Peppermint Pie in Country Woman Christmas 2006