Midsummer Sponge Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 3 tablespoons lemon gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 10 to 12 ribbons with small charms attached
- Assorted fresh fruit
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar until light and lemon-colored. Combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture alternately with water, beating just until smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. springform pan.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan; remove sides. Invert onto a wire rack. Remove bottom of pan; invert cake so top is up. For filling, in a large bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla and pudding mix for 2 minutes or until thickened; chill for 10 minutes. Fold in whipped topping.
- For glaze, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add enough cold water to measure 1 cup. Chill for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut cake in half horizontally. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Tuck charms under edge of cake. Spread filling over cake layer; top with second cake layer and fruit. Drizzle with glaze. Chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 261 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 27, 2013
I used this sponge cake recipe as a base for a Mid-Summer strawberry shortcake! Being a mom of 4 young ones, I loved how simple the cake was to make. And how quickly this cake bakes! It's really is like a sponge, and soaks up the jello glaze. I did add 1 t of almond extract to the egg, and sugar mixture. I could really taste the almond. I changed the glaze from lemon jello to strawberry jello, and turned it into a strawberry shortcake with cubes of the sponge cake on the bottom, strawberries with the jello glaze as the middle layer, and whipped cream on top! Delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.