VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup julienned zucchini
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Hot cooked rice
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the first four ingredients; add meat. Seal bag and turn to coat.
- Pour oil into a shallow 2-qt. microwave-safe dish; arrange meat evenly in dish. Cover and microwave at 50% power for 3-1/2 minutes, stirring once; set aside. Drain tomatoes, reserving juice; set tomatoes aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine tomato juice, carrots, onion, basil and oregano. Cover and microwave on high for 2-1/2 minutes, stirring once. Pour over meat; add the tomatoes, zucchini and mushrooms. Cover and microwave at 50% power for 7-8 minutes, stirring several times. Let stand for 3 minutes. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Stir-Fry in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p51