Microwave Oatmeal Cake Recipe
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Dash salt
- 1. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oats and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring once; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla and oat mixture. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to oat mixture until combined.
- 3. Pour into a greased 11x7-in. microwave-safe dish. Shield corners with small triangles of foil. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 6 minutes. Cook on high for 6 minutes or until when center is touched, cake clings to finger while area underneath is almost dry. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- 4. Combine topping ingredients in a microwave-safe dish; microwave, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thicken and bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Spread over warm cake. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: Shielding with small pieces of foil prevents overcooking of food in the corners of a square or rectangular dish. Secure foil firmly to dish and do not allow it to touch insides of microwave.
1 piece: 605 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Microwave Oatmeal Cake
"It very tasty and moist and didn't have to use the oven which heats up the kitchen even more on a hot summer day."