Microwave Meatballs and Rice
On blustery spring days in Corfu, New York, Loni Fancher can rely on her mother’s microwave meatball dish to warm up family and friends in no time. LONI’S TIP: “When it’s available, I like to substitute ground venison for the ground beef in this recipe. Tasty!”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, chili powder, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, rice, onion and green pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 339 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 879mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Jul 13, 2010
Quick, easy, and delicious! It's a great combination of flavors. I kept going back for more. The stewed tomatoes are in big chunks so I cut them up into smaller pieces. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing. This recipe is yummy!