Microwave Herbed Green Beans
Rosemary and basil complement green beans, celery and onion in this savory side dish from Ruth Andrewson of Peck, Idaho. "My mother always cooked with fresh herbs from her garden," she writes. "Now I find myself doing the same."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 to 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Place the beans and water in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 to 4-1/2 minutes or until tender; set aside. In another dish, combine the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 1-1/2 minutes or until onion is tender. Drain beans. Drizzle with onion mixture; toss to coast.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 45 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Herbed Green Beans in Quick Cooking September/October 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.