Microwave German Potato Salad
Microwave German Potato Salad has big flavor for a quick salad. "The first time I tried this easy side dish I was impressed and had to have the recipe," recalls Barbara Erdmann of West Allis, Wisconsin. "That's what happens to most people who taste it. It's a time-saver when I need a salad for a summer get-together."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, onion and celery; set aside. Place bacon in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 2-3 minutes longer or until the bacon is crisp, stirring after each minute.
- Remove bacon to paper towel to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir the sugar, flour, vinegar, salt and pepper into drippings until smooth; gradually add milk.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until thickened. Pour over potato mixture; toss. Top with bacon.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 241 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Microwave German Potato Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1997
Jul 5, 2011
This was a big hit this 4th of July weekendMy husband even ask if I will make it for our next gathering with our friends as one of them is german he thinks she will really like it.