Microwave Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; set aside (do not drain).
- Meanwhile, in a 3-qt. dish, microwave butter on high for 40-60 seconds or until melted. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 2 minutes. Add the cheese. Heat for 30-60 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Stir in corn and vegetable mixture. Cook on high for 1-1/2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 264 calories, 16g fat (11g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Apr 1, 2012
I have been making this recipe for years. Not only is it good it is economical to make. This is one of my 9 year olds favorite things to eat!
Dec 13, 2009
This is excellent. I often make it for church functions.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.