Microwave Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (1 quart)
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled uncooked potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Minced fresh parsley
- In covered 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, cook bacon on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to drain; set aside. Drain clam juice into the drippings. Stir in potatoes and onion. Cover and cook on high for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring once or twice. Stir flour into 1/4 cup of milk; add to potato mixture. Stir in salt, pepper and remaining milk. Cover and cook on medium for 3-1/2 minutes, stirring once or twice. Let stand for 3-5 minutes. Stir in clams and butter. Garnish with bacon and parsley.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 279 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 17, 2013
I've never made clam chowder before so I can't compare recipes but this was easy and tasty. I did substitute 1/2 cup of heavy cream for some of the milk. My kids would have preferred it tobe thicker.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.