Microwave Chocolate Bread Pudding
For an easy dessert that’s sure to be a family favorite, make chocolate bread pudding. Use your imagination and add a fun topping like a chocolate kiss or sliced strawberries. —Julie Johnson, Westminster, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 20 min.
Makes9 servings (2 cups whipped cream)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- 9 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Crushed peppermint candies, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and syrup. Gently stir in bread; let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Microwave at 50% power for 18-22 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and extracts; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with bread pudding. Sprinkle with candies if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 354 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 189mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Bread Pudding in Country Woman December/January 2011