I received this speedy recipe from a cooking class when I bought my first microwave years ago. It always gets rave reviews.—Ruth Barry, Sacramento, California
Recommended: 60 Sneaky Ways to Eat More Vegetables
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- In a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine carrots and water. Cover and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once; drain and return to dish.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, cheese, onion, milk and mustard. Pour over carrots; stir to coat. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Toss the bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Cover and microwave on high 2 minutes longer. Let stand for 2 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Carrot Casserole in Country Woman September/October 2001, p35