Microwave Broccoli Chicken Bake
This creamy and comforting casserole from Leanna Johnston is sure to satisfy hearty appetites young and old. “This came from a cookbook that my senior high school class compiled,” reports the Omaha, Nebraska cook.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 6 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Microwave rice according to package directions; set aside. Place butter in a microwave-safe 2-1/2-qt. dish; cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until melted. Add the broccoli, cheese, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic powder.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the soup, chicken and rice. Cover and microwave at 70% power for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 435 calories, 28g fat (16g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Chicken, Broccoli, Rice and Cheese Casserole in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006