This creamy and comforting casserole from Leanna Johnston is sure to satisfy hearty appetites young and old. “This came from a cookbook that my senior high school class compiled,” reports the Omaha, Nebraska cook.
Recommended: 30-Minute Meals Your Family Will Love
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 6 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Microwave rice according to package directions; set aside. Place butter in a microwave-safe 2-1/2-qt. dish; cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until melted. Add the broccoli, cheese, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic powder.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the soup, chicken and rice. Cover and microwave at 70% power for 2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Broccoli Chicken Bake in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006, p28