Microwave Broccoli and Rice
From Cleveland, Oklahoma, Shirley Tockey shares this speedy side dish that's sized right for two. Broccoli and instant rice made it perfect alongside most any entree, and using the microwave helps you ring the dinner bell in no time.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2 teaspoons butter, cut up
- 3/4 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules or 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- In a 3-cup microwave-safe bowl, combine the water, rice, butter, bouillon and pepper. Top with broccoli florets. Cover and microwave on high for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 143 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Broccoli & Rice in Light & Tasty April/May 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.