- 1 jar (48 ounces) cooked great Northern beans
- 1-1/2 pounds lean pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 large sweet onion, chopped
- Combine all ingredients; mix gently but well. Place in beanpot, casserole or slow cooker. Bake at 300°, uncovered, for 5 to 6 hours; cover last hour. Or heat on low in slow cooker overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forMichigan Bean Bake
"Although I love savory beans, I am not a fan of baked beans- too sweet, too much like bbq sauce. These are an exception. The pork and brown sugar work well together and the mustard keeps them from being cloyingly sweet. I like to use ground pork and prefer to brown it before mixing with the other ingredients. It travels well for potluck meals and reheats beautifully."
"I first made this rec. in 1991 and continue to do so often. It is rich but just wonderful to take to pot lucks. Often I freeze a portion to use for a future meal. I lost my receipe. This week searched several days. Finally thought of conecting on web site. Glad I did as I didn't think you would still have the receipe. Thanks."