Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- 48 vanilla wafers
- Red Hots, red gumdrops and red shoestring licorice
- Prepare cake batter and bake according to package directions for cupcakes, using foil- or paper-lined muffin tins. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes generously with vanilla frosting. For ears, position two vanilla wafers on each cupcake. Add Red Hots for eyes and gumdrops for noses. Insert short pieces of licorice for whiskers and longer pieces for tails.
Feb 12, 2016
These cupcakes were the hit at a themed outdoor birthday party! Made to be served along side owl cupcakes featured on Taste of Hone as well. As with the owl cupcakes, I baked cupcakes day before and assembled before the party. As a volunteer food editor with Taste of Home I enjoy recipe ideas that provide easy step-by-step directions for adorable treats!
May 30, 2011
I made these with my son to take to school. They were easy to make and just as cute at the picture. Everyone loved them!
Feb 16, 2011
These are easy to bake and fun to decorate. The cupcakes received many compliments for both presentation and taste.
Mar 15, 2009
Made these for my son's first grade Valentine's party. I used mini M&M's for eyes instead of red hots; kids can be finicky about those at that age. Keep the cupcakes cold so the ears don't fall off.
Jun 24, 2008
They where fun to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.