I use bacon, jalapeno pepper and a few other favorite items to put a different twist on a corn muffin mix. The moist bites complement a breakfast of scrambled eggs. They freeze well, too, but with my household of three guys, I can't keep them in the freezer for very long.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a bowl, combine cornbread mix, egg and milk just until blended. Stir in salsa, corn, cheese, sour cream, bacon and jalapeno. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 146 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Mexicorn Muffins in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.